Sunday, September 23, 2012

Vertical Space

I moved in to my new apartment a full month ago, and until this weekend, paintings were still leaning against walls, my drill and hammer were perching on any available surface, and random cleaning bottles my neighbor kindly left for me were still hanging around.

It was driving me crazy. I'm the type of person that needs to organize things asap otherwise I feel unsettled. My lack-of-organization was lasting so long even a friend mentioned that it wasn't like me. I think it was taking me so long to "move in" because I need to purchase a few big-item pieces, like a new desk and TV stand, and I can't afford them right now. So, no need to organize if I can't do it right, right?

No. Yesterday I tackled my sad little messy apartment. I bought some hooks and shelves from Amazon, and went to work putting them up and putting stuff on them. And, wow: vertical space. How has it taken me so long to realize that, though my apartment is small on horizontal space, I have acres of vertical space? I don't need an entryway table, because I can buy a shelf that will serve as a landing zone for entry-and-exit necessities. I don't need to keep dumping my bag and coat on the back of the couch, because I can buy a hook to put that stuff on! My art doesn't have to sit on the floor, because it belongs on the wall! It's ridiculous how happy a few hooks and shelves have made me, and now all that shit is up off the floor and my apartment feels bigger.

I just purchased a utility closet rolling shelf unit, and I'm so excited. It will give me much more useable vertical space for the closet, and really open it up. Plus I will actually be able to get my vacuum out of the closet without everything else tumbling down.

I just can't believe it took me so long to realize that walls could be more than walls. Viva vertical space!

1 comment:

Mary said...

Excellent. I'm not looking forward to the moving process, though I hardly have anything on our walls right now. I thought we'd only be here for a year (that was 3+ years ago...). I'm definitely putting up pictures and hooks and a wall mount for the t.v. in our new place. Yay!