Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Employed and Fabulous

And just like that, I have a job! Unemployment: 0, Sharon: 1.

I am now the new secretary (executive assistant...) in the President's Office at the university. YAY! I have been trying to get a job at the university for THREE YEARS, since I graduated with my MA. They finally want me! I begin on July 16, and I'm still going to get time off for my planned vacation at the end of July. It's amazing: I finally found a real job!

Some Statistics (I Know Because I Keep a Spreadsheet)

1. Number of jobs applied to in the past year: 58

2. Number of call backs: 14 (24%)

3. Number of failed interviews: 12 (still waiting to hear about one; 21%)

4. Number of times I was rejected because I was "overqualified:" 2 (3%)

5. Number of jobs I never heard back from: 17 (29%)

6. Number of jobs where I had two interviews (one in-person) and then never heard anything back from, even after a follow-up email (rudest thing EVER): 1 (2%)

7. Number of universities where I applied: 9

8. Number of jobs that want me: 1 (only number that counts :-))

4 comments:

Unknown said...

CONGRATS!!!! I'm SO SO happy for you! When do you start?? Which university?

Anonymous said...

Yay!!!!! Thats awesome! Congrats:)

LLandL said...

whew... thank goodness it only takes one 'yes,' right? congrats to you!

Mary said...

Well done! So much for "Funemployed," but I'm very happy for you!